Monday, December 16, 2013

Smaug Opens Strong in First Weekend of Release

The Desolation of Smaug's opening weekend US take of $73.65 million fell short of landing the December opening record set by The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey ($84.6M) but I doubt Jackson and company care considering the film took in $205M worldwide essentially paying for itself in the first three days of release. The assumption is the movie will cross the $1 billion threshold and considering the overall good reviews, I see little reason to doubt it. More details on the breakdown here but basically the movie did as well as it was expected to do.

1 comment:

  1. I over looked Jackson's ego as he nearly destroyed the Tolkien story in LOTR. But Hobbit Desolation has confirmed what I had already guessed. Peter Jackson sees himself as the modern day Tolkien, even superior to the original author. I am not referring to additional scenes that have no connection at all to the book. I realize he is trying to sell video games with these unwarranted action scenes, but when he changes the way the last light on Durin's Day occurs, we know that we are not just dealing with a director with an over active imagination. We are dealing with some one who will rewrite every detail in the book to establish himself as the true master of Middle Earth!!!!

    What a sham! What a ridiculous adaptation of this English master piece. He must think in centuries to come, that he will be the one remembered as Middle Earth's creator!
    This is hogwash and pure old shit, I will not look upon anything else this menace to the memory of J.R.R. Tolkien produces. I will not have my memories of this childhood classic poached upon by this ego maniac. The authors heirs should sue you for every dime you made abusing this wonderful story. Such excellent acting, set design, art work, CG, I could go on and on, all marred and made less by Peter Jackson.

    ReplyDelete