Thursday, October 25, 2012

Ian McKellen Expands on Almost Turning Down Gandalf

On his official blog, Sir Ian McKellen expands on what were the pros and cons he considered when he was offered to reprise the role of Gandalf for The Hobbit Trilogy. In a recent article it was revealed that he had given serious consideration to saying no but changed his mind once he realized what a disappointment it would be to the fans.
FAQ: "Is it true you nearly didn't play Gandalf again?"
Now I've returned to Gandalf, I can't quite believe that there was ever any doubt in my mind – but there was! There always is, with any job offer.

In making up my mind, I usually write down the pros and the cons and see which list is the longer or weightier. Thus:

PRO: Working with Peter Jackson is always stimulating and fun: we make each other laugh and he doesn't let me get away with anything too theatrical on film. I admire his world-class colleagues like Andrew Lesnie (cinematographer), John Howe and Alan Lee (designers of Middle-earth) and so many more who returned for The Hobbit. The Lord of the Rings trilogy has become a cinematic classic and the same could well be true of The Hobbit. I enjoy living in New Zealand and exploring the amazingly beautiful countryside.

CON: A two-year commitment to The Hobbit would keep me from other work and keep me away from home and friends in London. I like new challenges and I've already played Gandalf the Grey.

When Peter first told me he had committed to The Hobbit, I immediately cleared my diary and stood by for the call. It was a long time coming, because Peter withdrew from the project and was replaced by Guillermo del Toro. Guillermo and I got on well, with a couple of meetings discussing his approach. Then he too withdrew. So it was back with Peter and then more delays, through illness and disagreements with the New Zealand actors' union. I began to think The Hobbit was jinxed – another reason con.

What clinched it and made up my mind was the advice of a wise friend: "Ian, all those fans of the LOTR aren't going to understand or care about your doubts. They just want to see you back as Gandalf." And then I realised what I'd known all along, that I couldn't bear to think of another actor donning the pointy hat and grey robes.

And that was that. Thank goodness!
-- Ian McKellen, London, 24 October 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment